Monday, July 4, 2011

How Not To Earn Your Stepchild’s Respect


Recent media attention over the nasty stepmother/stepdaughter altercation between Blanche D’Alpuget and Sue Pieters-Hawke (former PM Bob Hawke's wife and daughter respectively) illustrated to me how much hurt stepparents can wield on their spouse’s children, regardless of the age of anyone concerned.

As a stepparent myself, I think it is appalling for any child (regardless of age) to read, hear or witness, their biological parent being portrayed in any negative light, by a stepparent.

As daughter of a wonderful mother, my protection and love for my parent knows no limits. I hope, should I ever have the misfortune of having to defend my own mother in public, that I do so with the same level of dignity and grace that Sue Pieters-Hawke has.

Step-Mums: may a negative word about your stepchild’s biological parent, never, ever pass from your mouth and into the ear of your stepchild, unless of course you do not want their respect or love. This is Golden Rule #1 of Positive Stepparenting

No comments:

Post a Comment